PhD degree holders are competitive for a wide range of careers within and outside academia. Our mission is to help our trainees get knowledge of career outcomes and be able to support their career exploration. For example, our data indicate that PIBS PhD alumni choose a range of careers represented in the job sectors below. Our goal is to empower our current learning communities via a holistic approach in professional preparation and a focused approach in a job search for career success. Our team will support refining your interests through individual consultations and via structured learning at our panels and workshops. Additionally, we will help guide you to resources for active engagement, communication and professional knowledge building via experiential learning, not limited to our weekly programming.
Career and Strength Exploration Tools:
The Process of Career Exploration
This short cartoon, “The Fantasy, The Idea, and The Reality of Career Exploration” by the UCSF Motivating INformed Decisions (MIND) Program, illustrates what the process of career exploration entails.
Active Career Exploration (ACE)
Take steps in your career exploration by downloading The ACE Plan: “Cold E-Mails and Hot Coffee”, a handbook for career exploration and networking for busy science PhD’s written by University of Michigan graduate students, faculty, and staff.
OGPS ACE Worksheets:
Tenure-Track Faculty: Assistant/Associate Professor
- Faculty Corner: monthly interview series with behind the scenes insights into a tenure-track position, hosted by our team.
- Watch our First Faculty Corner “I Love Being a Professor” with Dr. Pat Schloss, Frederick Novy Collegiate Professor of Microbiome Research and Professor in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at the University of Michigan Medical School. Our discussion was moderated by Taylor Nye, a Ph.D. candidate and NSF GRFP Fellow in Dr. Lyle Simmons’ lab in the Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology.
- Beyond the Lab: Puck Ohi, Assistant Professor, Department of Cell & Developmental Biology – an interview from the BRET Office of Career Development, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. Dr. Ohi has since joined the Cell & Developmental Biology Department at the University of Michigan
Non-Tenure-Track Faculty: Research Assistant Professor, Lecturer
- Treading a Different Track by Rachel Bernstein, Science Magazine
Professional and Support Staff: Staff Scientist, Product Development, Business Development, Intellectual Property, Laboratory Technician, Core Facilities, Technical Support
- Beyond the Lab: Kim Dahlman, Director, Innovative Translational Research Shared Resource at the Vanderbilt Ingram-Cancer Center – an interview from the BRET Office of Career Development, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine Management Leadership: Director, Provost
- Beyond the Lab: Hayes McDonald, Co-Associate Director of the MSRC Proteomics Laboratory – an interview from the BRET Office of Career Development, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Beyond the Lab: Robert Carnahan, Core Director and Educator – an interview from the BRET Office of Career Development, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- “Moving into administration: Is it really that difficult?” by Mary Huff and Benjamin D. Caldwell, ASBMB – Professional Development
Management and Leadership: Director, Provost
- Ph.D. Careers in Academic Leadership: a career panel series providing insights into professional leadership roles within academia, hosted by our team in collaboration with Rackham Graduate School.
- iBiology Career Exploration: Dr. Debra Cooper, Policy Consultant in the California State Senate Office of Research
- “The skills you need for a career in science policy” by Chris Pickett, ASBMB Today – Professional Development
Professional Staff: Principal Investigator, Group Leader, Principal Scientist, Regulatory Affairs
- Beyond the Lab: Nuruddeen Lewis, Scientist at EMD Serono, Inc. – an interview from the BRET Office of Career Development, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Beyond the Lab: Molly Seale, Medical Science Liaison at Amgen Oncology – an interview from the BRET Office of Career Development, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Beyond the Lab: Ray Price, PhD, MBA, Business Development at DiscoverX Corporation – an interview from the BRET Office of Career Development, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine