- This event has passed.
Active Career Exploration (ACE) 3-Part Workshop
November 19, 2020 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
One event on October 15, 2020 at 2:00 pm
One event on November 19, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Are you ready to take steps towards your career goals? Do you need a little guidance exploring careers or refining your search? Join OGPS for a 3-part Active Career Exploration Workshop! Participants will learn how to self-reflect and grow their networks in preparation for their next career move. Attendance to all three sessions is not required but is strongly encouraged. Read the full workshop description below.Register Here
Thursday, September 10 – Step 1: Read and Reflect
It can be difficult to know where to start when thinking about your future career. Furthermore, your career goals may change over time as you discover new interests and gain new knowledge and experiences. A good place to start your career exploration is by taking an honest inventory of your skills, interests, and values. Having a deeper understanding of self can help narrow your search or reveal opportunities you had not previously considered.
- explore assessments to help clarify your interests and values,
- learn how to consider your interests and values when exploring careers,
- gain knowledge of resources for learning about your many career options.
Thursday, October 15 – Step 2: Network and Connect
Once you have reflected on what is most important to you in your personal and professional life, you can start finding and connecting with people who share your career interests. Networking and building relationships are hugely beneficial skills to have in every stage of your career, especially in the beginning.
In this session, you will:
- learn about resources to quickly and easily grow your network,
- learn best practices for networking communication,
- leave with a plan for making new and meaningful connections.
Thursday, November 19 – Step 3: Listen and Learn
There is a limit to the knowledge you can gain about a career simply by reading. Speaking with people in careers that interest you is a much more effective method for getting an inside look into positions, institutions, and job sectors. Furthermore, growing your network within your desired career area will set you up for long-term success.
- gain an understanding of the purpose of an informational interview,
- learn best practices for conducting informational interviews,
- practice during an interactive portion of the workshop.
This workshop is adapted from Cold E-mails and Hot Coffee, a publication written by University of Michigan faculty and trainees to help PhDs explore careers and take tangible steps towards their goals.