- This event has passed.
ACE Workshop – Step 1: Read and Reflect
October 31, 2019 @ 9:30 am - 10:30 am
This 3-part workshop is adapted from Cold E-mails and Hot Coffee, a publication written by University of Michigan faculty and trainees to help PhDs explore careers and take tangible steps towards their goals.
Attendance to all three sessions is not a requirement to participate. However, each session will build upon the previous material.
Thursday, October 31 – Step 1: Read and Reflect
It can be difficult to know where to start when thinking about your future. The first step in career exploration is to take an honest inventory of your skills, interests, and values. Having a deeper understanding of self can help narrow your search.
- explore assessments to help clarify your interests and values,
- learn how to consider your interests and values when exploring careers,
- gain knowledge of resources for learning about career options.
Thursday, November 15 – Step 2: Network and Connect
Once you have reflected on what is most important to you in your personal and professional life, you can start finding and connecting with people who share your career interests.
- learn about resources to quickly and easily grow your network,
- learn best practices for networking communication,
- leave with a plan for making new and meaningful connections.
Friday, November 15 – Step 3: Listen and Learn
There is a limit to the knowledge you can gain about a career simply by reading. Speaking with people in careers that interest you is a much more effective method for getting an inside look into positions, institutions, and job sectors.
- gain an understanding of the purpose of an informational interview,
- learn best practices for conducting informational interviews,
- practice during an interactive portion of the workshop.