- This event has passed.
Allies for Inclusion: Allies for Inclusion Workshop
February 27, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 amFree
The Allies for Inclusion is a ninety-minute workshop offered to faculty, staff and students who want to learn more about disability-related issues and are interested in becoming disability allies. Through various interactive activities and presentation, attendees will be able to:
– Demonstrate inclusive language and understand its importance.
– Know the difference between the letter of disability law and the spirit of disability law.
– Understand the concepts of Universal Design, Universal Instructional Design, and Universal Design for Student Development.
– Be able to identify areas of their campuses and communities that are not universally designed or accessible.
– Appreciate and understand the need for ability allies and commit to being an ally for inclusion by advocating for awareness, acceptance and inclusion of people with disabilities.
If you require an accommodation to participate in this event or have any questions, please contact Anna Massey at email@example.com.
About the speaker:
Karen A. Myers, PhD, is Professor and Director of the Higher Education Administration graduate program at Saint Louis University and co-founder and director of the award-winning international disability education project, Allies for Inclusion: The Ability Exhibit, the Ability Ally Initiative workshops, Ability Allies in Action: Pre-Kindergarten-Eighth Curriculum, and The Ability Institute. She has been a college teacher and administrator since 1979 at nine institutions; is an international disability consultant and trainer, author of numerous journal articles, book chapters, and books; and teaches her self-designed graduate courses, “Disability in Higher Education and Society” and “Disability Administration in Higher Education.” She is co-founder of the ACPA College Student Educators International Coalition on Disability, past ACPA Foundation Trustee, and co-author of the ASHE monograph, Allies for Inclusion: Disability and Equity in Higher Education (Jossey-Bass, 2014).