Program in Biomedical Sciences
Welcome to PIBS! Please use the checklist below to help plan for your start date, look for rotations and prepare for life at Michigan.
Prior to Arrival in Ann Arbor
- Have you officially accepted our offer through Rackham? Refer to your offer email from Rackham or find more information.
- Send a copy of your official transcripts directly to Rackham. Review Rackham’s transcripts webpage for process and requirements.
- Please indicate your intended start date (Summer or Fall) via this link by May 6, 2022.
- Use your U-M email as your primary email account. PIBS will only communicate with you via your U-M email account and you will be expected to check it for all program communications and announcements. Visit ITCS for email support.
- Review PIBS rotation availability. PIBS will be emailing more information about rotations, but it is not too early to begin searching faculty profiles and contacting faculty with whom you may want to rotate.
- Connect with your cohort. Join the Facebook group, email PIBSclass2022@umich.edu to reach this year’s new students, or email@example.com to reach the entire biomedical graduate student community.
- Start looking for housing. Consider emailing your peers for a roommate and using University housing resources including Off Campus Housing Guide and Rackham’s housing webpage.
After your arrival in Ann Arbor
- Attend PIBS orientation events
- Get your M-card at Welcome Day.
- Schedule a meeting with your program(s) advisor(s). During welcome week you should plan to meet with an academic advisor for each program you are considering. This is an opportunity to discuss curriculum requirements, rotations, and other program-specific information.
- Update your information in Wolverine Access. Log in with your uniqname and Level 1 password and use the Employee Self Service tab to:
- Update your contact information
- Enroll in direct deposit
- Enroll in Benefits – you will receive an email with instructions on how to enroll. PIBS pays for GradCare and Dental Benefits Level 1 for you and your dependents. Additional benefit selections will be billed to your student account.
- Register for classes – you must be registered prior to the first day of class each term.
- Enroll online and complete Environment, Health & Safety lab class BLS025W, BLS101w, and BLS204w. You have the option of taking the course online or in person, but must complete it prior to starting work in your rotation lab.